Sunday, August 23, 2015

I Don't Even Know What To Call This...

Hi everyone! As you may have noticed, neither of us has been on here for awhile. We both had some self-care stuff to do, plus we were working on our Tumblr blogs (links on the About the Amoebas page), generally enjoying our summers, and in my case getting ready for the terror of senior year (on the plus side, though, I might be taking this awesome science class called pathology. I get to study diseases! Also, my social studies class is, apparently, pretty much Feminism 101. AND in just two months, I get to call myself an adult! So all that should be pretty fantastic :) ). Anyway, I'm back...for a short while, at least. I'll probably only be posting once or twice a month from now on.

But I wanted to make this post while I still had time.

Are you a teenager thinking of practicing witchcraft or paganism? Not sure your parents will accept you? How about a low-income practitioner, looking for cost-effective ways to explore the energy of the universe (because let's face it, manufactured spellbooks and store-brought sage bundles can be ludicrously expensive.)? A closeted technopagan, looking for simple ideas on how to bring yourself closer to nature in our very modern world without outing yourself? Here's my advice.

1. Find a public hiking trail within biking distance of your house. This should be pretty easy even if you live in an urban area - there should be something around a local park, at least. The one nearest my house is so pretty that it looks like some kind of fairy forest. You might be surprised at what kind of amazing things are hidden in your hometown.
I want to stress that I'm saying biking distance because, depending on where you live, what your family is like, and where you work, you can be in very serious, even life-threatening, danger if you are outed as a pagan or witch. If the wrong person catches on that you're into magic...well, they'll have a harder time proving that witch in the woods is you if they don't have your license plate number. Be safe, darlings.
2. Walk around barefoot outside - preferably on grass or soft dirt. But BE CAREFUL! About ten years ago, I heard a harsh metal sound when I was walking and figured out it was coming from under my foot. I lifted up my sandal and found a big metal fish hook stuck in the rubber sole (my foot was fine, thankfully). So use that as a cautionary tale. And be careful of any animal droppings you find. But really, grass on bare feet is probably one of the best feelings ever. Again, just be safe.
3. Join a social networking site just for witches and pagans. Or follow a Tumblr blog with a magical theme, or join a Facebook group for occultists. I recommend mywitchbook.com, but you have to be eighteen and older to join (I tried to join three months early, briefly mentioned my age in a post, and got temporarily kicked off. But they saved my profile and everything, so I can rejoin after my birthday). I also follow The Wiccan Life, another Blogspot blog.
4. Press herbs and flowers to make your own potpourri.
5. Write your own book of spells and charms, if you're into that. I meditate, pray, keep a BOS (that I frequently forget to write in, unfortunately), and use natural remedies sometimes (chamomile tea is great for any kind of stomach ache, and I hear it works nicely for period cramps too), but that's the most I really get involved with witchcraft, despite the stereotype that all witches are pagans and all pagans are witches. I do love the witchcraft community, though, and it's actually really cool to hear what they've managed to do. Tell me about your own experiences, if you want.
6. Tubing. Twice this month, my family and I have taken inflatable tubes down a river a few hours away from our house. Bring a bottle of water with you (either hold it in your lap or put it in a cupholder) and wear plenty of sunscreen. Bring your own tubes (and paddles if desired) to save money. You can also go kayaking or canoeing, but tubing (especially with paddles) takes fewer spoons. I've also tried white-water rafting, which was terrifying but exhilarating. Take any excuse to get outside.
7. Walk to and from school/work, if possible. Vitamin D and exercise are always good things. Your body is part of nature, and you are beautiful.
8. Hug a tree.
9. Garden. Play music while you do so, if you want.
10. Meditate. With enough practice, you might get to the point where you can stay calm through anything...but DON'T feel bad if you can't get to that point.
11. Dance.
12. Eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, if possible.
13. Cook something from scratch.
14. Get to know your body.
15. Laugh yourself silly.
16. Talk to plants. Name them too, if you want. My basil plant is Marsha.
17. Listen to the rain.
18. Cuddle an animal.
19. Love yourself.
20. Appreciate the magic in mundane things.

No comments: