Monday, November 3, 2014

Seriously? Why is She Torturing Us With This Random Poem when She Should be Noveling?

'Cause I feeeeeel like it, that's why. And I'm past 5K, so it's not like I don't have a little time to spare.



An Open Letter to Whoever Made This Meme

Obesity is a problem. Everyone knows that.
Yes, obesity is linked to type 2 diabetes, heart disease, angina.
Everyone knows that.

Obesity is ugly. Everyone knows that.
No. It's not true.
I used to be obese.
Just over a year ago, I weighed 196 pounds.
I was a five-six fifteen-year-old girl, struggling
Scared
Dealing with anxiety and personal problems,
Terrified of myself, convinced I wasn't good enough and was unworthy of love.
I thought I was ugly, and who better to encourage those thoughts
Than the cruel classmates who snickered behind my back,
The magazines which glorified society's crap idea of beauty,
The million ways the world laughed at my very existence.
How dare I strive for happiness, how dare I not be disgusted with myself?

Skinny
Does not equal beauty.
Skinny
Equals skinny.
Fat
Does not equal ugly.
Fat equals fat.
They are both just labels
Used to pit us against our beautiful brothers and sisters,
whether fat, skinny, or in-between.
We are beautiful.
 We are all beautiful, no matter how much we weigh.

That's why I tell fat people they are beautiful...
Because it's true.

No comments: