Saturday, November 1, 2014

NaNo has Arrived!

Well, it's that time of year again. November first, and twenty-nine days from now, I'll need to have a fifty-thousand word manuscript. So I should really be working on my novel...ahem...but I'm already almost at my daily word-count goal.

As it turns out, I won't be using any of my old plot bunnies this year. I'm writing a fanfiction about this British fantasy kids' show that I used to be obsessed with, but they never showed the second season in America (or, if they did, I never found out). The canon is called Wolfblood, and my fanfiction is Vivir. The basic premise is that a teenage girl whose family was attacked by beast hunters arrives in Stoneybridge with her mother to live with her estranged aunt, uncle, and cousins, and to join the pack. Also, she falls in love with one of the canon main character's friends...but don't worry, it won't be abusive (I'm looking at you, Twilight) or perfect or insta-love.

I'm having trouble learning to write in a British accent, as well as from the perspective of a (legally) blind person, but otherwise this is going really well. I got Lili to design me a cover (because I don't know how, and we're being civil), which features a photograph of Taylor, my OC - really a picture Lili found online and then Photoshopped - in wolf form. Since she has a glass eye, only one of her eyes changes color when she turns. The effect is so cool, and she looks so freaking cute as a wolf.

I'm going to a write-in today, in Ferndale. Wish me luck, and luck for all the other Wrimos. Happy noveling!

No comments: