Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Quotes on Womanhood by Women

Happy Women's History Month!

“It’s the fire in my eyes, 
And the flash of my teeth, 
The swing in my waist, 
And the joy in my feet. 
I’m a woman 
Phenomenally.” - Maya Angelou

“Anything may happen when womanhood has ceased to be a protected occupation.” - Virginia Woolf

“I will never be scared to love me.
I am a force to be reckoned with.
I am beautiful.” - Alexandra Elle

“The hardest part has been learning how to take myself seriously when the entire world is constantly telling me that femininity is always inferior to masculinity” - Julia Serano

“The start of empowering women comes with acknowledgment of thought that every born child is equal irrespective of its sex. ” - Nikita Dudani

“For my relationships with men to change, I needed to change my relationship to myself as a woman.”  - Gloria Ng

“In trans women's eyes, I see a wisdom that can only come from having to fight for your right to be recognized as female, a raw strength that only comes fro unabashedly asserting your right to be feminine in an inhospitable world." - Julia Serano

“A woman with opinions had better develop a thick skin and a loud voice.” - Anya Seton

“Even to me the issue of "stay small, sweet, quiet, and modest" sounds like an outdated problem, but the truth is that women still run into those demands whenever we find and use our voices.” - Brene Brown

“I want to be strong and empowered. I want to shock everybody.” - Vanessa Hudgens

“I'd rather be thought of as smart, capable, strong, and compassionate than beautiful. Those things all persist long after beauty fades.” - Cassandra Duffy

“Books make dangerous devils out of women.” - Yxta Maya Murray

“Like other women who sought equality, the amount of trouble I cause is inversely proportional to my physical size.” - Cassandra Duffy

“Our mothers were largely silent about what happened to them as they passed through this midlife change. But a new generation of women has already started to break the wall of silence.” - Trisha Posner

“A woman brings so much more to the world than birth, for she can birth discovery, intelligence, invention, art, just as well as any man.” - Shannon Celebi

“The one person who will never leave us, whom we will never lose, is ourself. Learning to love our female selves is where our search for love must begin.” - bell hooks

"I am not only a casualty, I am also a warrior." - Audre Lorde

"Before I die, I will see our community [the queer community, but specifically trans women] given the respect we deserve. I'll be damned if I'm going to my grave without having the respect this community deserves. I want to go wherever I go with that in my soul and peacefully say I've finally overcome." - Sylvia Rivera

1 comment:

Radioactive said...

Disclaimer: Sylvia Rivera actually hated labels, saying in her memoir that she identified simply as Sylvia, but she did occasionally describe herself as a woman and she did transition. Therefore, by modern standards, she would be considered a trans woman.