Friday, June 13, 2014

Last Day of School!

It is the last day of my sophomore year, and I thought I'd do a commemorative post for it.

But first...this week, a kid with bone cancer (aka osteosarcoma) at my school just had his leg amputated to prevent the cancer from spreading. Thankfully, the surgery was successful, and everybody's happy about that. So we all wore yellow today in support of the kid. It was really inspiring, how many people "yellowed-out." Amazing things happen when people come together in the name of kindness and compassion.


So! Here is a list of my teachers this year and why each one is so great. I bet teachers get really happy when kids show that they don't actually hate them.

Mrs. Goldsby and Mrs. Abud - Learning Strategies. Learning strategies is essentially special ed, but keep in mind that having a disability DOES NOT make someone stupid. They never let anyone forget that.

Mr. Shurter - Biology. I'd have to say that he just explained things really well and had a great sense of humor. This is the first year I've ever gotten an A in science, and I'm pretty sure he's at least partly why.

Mrs. Smith - Geometry. Mrs. Smith got a lot of crap from certain kids in our class for actually trying to teach them something, but she took it all in stride and never lost her cool. I really admire the way she handled the whole thing.

Mrs. Miller and Mr. Miesch - Language Arts. Mrs. Miller made sure the class was easy enough to be fair, but hard enough to be interesting - an impressive feat indeed. Mr. Miesch could make anyone laugh and, my favorite part, devoted the beginning of every class to journaling. His class was awesome.

Mrs. Pierce and Mrs. Miesch - US History. Mrs. Pierce...well, she handled everything as well as she could considering that she was hugely pregnant and therefore a little pissy. Plus, she has a good sense of humor and that's a nice quality in anyone. Mrs. Miesch just did anything she could to make the class fun, but it was also a lot of work and a big challenge. She was tough but fair, and as far as I'm concerned that's pretty much the perfect combination in a teacher.

Ms. East - Spanish 2. Actually, her class was more like half Spanish and half geography. She'd traveled all over the world and even met a few celebrities, so she believed in teaching kids about culture. That was so fun, and probably my favorite part of school. She was also really tough yet fair, and although she didn't accept late work she did give out a lot of extra credit. Her class was my favorite.


Happy summer! Hug a teacher!
 

3 comments:

Betty Blue said...

I´m not gonna hug a teacher :DD
I like the blog, it looks very friendly and happy =)
And about the bone cancer. A successful amputation is just great! I mean, I would have wished that said kid would not have to have the leg amputated, but now the cancer won´t be able to spread so he will be able to live on. Three cheers for modern medicine!

L.M. said...

Bess, your blog is very well designed. I look forward to reading your new blog-you have a beautiful and humorous writing style.

Radioactive said...

Thanks, that's sweet. You know, if you look closely you can see every color of the rainbow on this page.