Thursday, July 17, 2014

One of Many Reasons Why My Grandma is a Boss

I was camping with my grandparents this week and my grandma asked me about school. So I told her about the two extracurriculars I want to be in next year, Spectrum Club (aka Gay-Straight Alliance) and youth group. Why is this significant?

Later, she referred to our earlier conversation and asked if I was gay. I told her truthfully that I wasn't, and that straight people can join GSAs too (most of them don't, but still...). Grandma, like the wonderfully wonderful woman she is, was cool with it and even a little proud. The only thing she was worried about was people harassing me for supporting homosexuality so openly like that, but she's proud of me for standing up for human rights and sticking to my beliefs no matter what anyone else thinks. She was happy when I told her about this blog, too (I had to explain what a 'blog' was, but after that she started smiling). I'm going to teach her how to use the Internet so she can read it.

Think about this for a moment. My grandmother is seventy-two years old, a devout Irish Catholic, and a middle-class Republican (I think, I've never asked) in a country where homosexuality is a big controversy, a state where the government still refuses to believe that love is love. It was a really stupid assumption and totally hypocritical of me, but I really thought she'd have a negative reaction to my joining a GSA and the possibility of my being a lesbian.

So ignorant of me, especially considering the fact that I'm also a devout Irish American Catholic in a state where gay marriage is currently illegal. But I write a freaking LGBT pride blog, for crying out loud. That really goes to show how possible it is to defy stereotypes, how we are more than the labels people apply to us.

But it really gave me a lot of hope for humanity, I guess...not to be sappy. After all, if someone like my grandma, someone that most people would never expect to even be okay with homosexuality, can be proud of her granddaughter for joining a gay-straight alliance, what does that say about the rest of the world and its ability to love others and embrace change? My grandma totally schooled me in the art of defying stereotypes, and that makes me really happy.

Yes, things look bleak sometimes, but we are headed toward a brighter, more loving, and more accepting future.

3 comments:

Betty Blue said...

That´s really impresing! Even here in Germany, where we are raised to be quite tolerant, a lot of old people are anti-homosexuality. The few Nazis who are still alive, of course, a lot of right-winged people and, sad to say, even a few Antifa - who fight for EQUAL RIGHTS but hey... For them, it´s a fight for equal rights when you can beat up a policeman, so they usually don´t give a damn about what the words they shout mean.
Really great to hear about your grandmother, it really gives some hope!

Radioactive said...

Thank you! By the way, I finally put my family on the Cast of Characters page. Despite being an only child, I have a very large family and can't list them all, but I did name all five grandparents and my dog

Betty Blue said...

Whoa O.O And I always thought MY family was big...