Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Another Random Poem

A guy we'll call Rick once asked about his troubles letting go of his anger and heartbreak toward his sociopathic ex-boyfriend. I gave him some advice about what I do when I get my heart broken: live. Do the things that make you happy! But I think Rick is really depressed about this guy (which makes me want to track the jerk down and cut his balls off), so I thought about what else I do: pray.

God has always given me strength when I felt weak, hope when I thought all hope was lost, love when I needed it most. He has given me strength to conquer the most difficult challenges I've ever encountered and sometimes even been the only reason I've had to strive. He is the best thing in my life.

I was going to say that, but there's one problem: Rick is an atheist. So instead, I reached deep inside and thought about how else I could communicate the power of love that is the Holy Spirit in each of us, the power that can perform miracles and give eternal hope. I could have said that the hurt of this earthly life will feel like nothing when we are faced with eternity, an eternity of love and light, the most perfect and all-consuming to ever exist. Because then? Then, all our time on Earth will just feel like a flash, and the bad times will seem like nothing. Eternity can really give you perspective. I could have said that even though human beings can be vicious and cruel, at least we know that there is one Person who loves us enough to bring about our very existence, die for us, and forgive us when we don't deserve it.

What did I actually say? I'll portray it in this poem (not the exact words I used).


 Sunshine
I've been hurt, broken, crushed. I've loved and lost and had my heart shattered by those who didn't deserve my love in the first place. My world has been stormy, and I've lost my sunshine.

No, I haven't. I've been damaged, but not beyond repair. I've been hurt, but not killed. My world has been stormy, but I've never lost my sunshine.

It is our choice and our choice alone to allow destructive people into our lives. My life is too valuable to waste on those who don't deserve it, and so I surround myself with love and become renewed with strength in that my sunshine may spread.

There is always tomorrow and things are never as bleak as they seem. And in reminding myself of this, I became renewed with strength. Although the world may be stormy, there is a little sunshine in every situation.

In the sunshine, I forgave. I let it go, because anger and bitterness would only darken my soul. What's the point of holding a grudge when we can set it all - including ourselves - free?

I've been hurt, but I clothed my spirit in sunshine...and learned to dance in the rain.





Hope you liked it.

11 comments:

Radioactive said...

Note: I understand that not all of you are Christian and I don't intend to force my beliefs on you. That's just what I could have said in reply to Rick.

Betty Blue said...

"It is our choice and our choice alone to allow destructive people into our lives." - Is it? I found that the destructive people we allow in our lives will always come back even if you try to force them not to. They tend to be quite clingy and most of the time don´t seem to know how destructive they are. Especially in the case of ex-boyfriends... Well, I could understand this Rick. Ex-boyfriends are a terrible thing if you really would have given up yourself for them and they just throw you away. But life heals all wounds and leaves just scars, and scars don´t hurt that much. Even the worst of all ex-boyfriends can´t wound you so bad that you won´t ever get over it.

Radioactive said...

True, but still what happened was pretty bad. The guy broke up with Rick, led him and manipulated him on the whole time, and then informed him later that he was straight and just experimenting with guys, with no regard to how Rick felt about being used this way. You don't tell someone you love them if you know damn well you don't have the ability to do that.

Betty Blue said...

That´s cruel. No other word for it. (Or maybe there is one and I just don´t know it.)
Amongst my people, it is pretty common to use each other and then throw each other away, but we always stay friends. And as I said, we use EACH OTHER. (Sometimes I think we´re a bit too open minded :D) And that´s alright. But being used without knowing it... That´s just cruel.
Still I am sure Rick will get over it. Maybe not today, maybe not within the next few days, but he will. There are no wounds that cannot heal.

Radioactive said...

That sounds like the "popular" kids at my school.
I asked, and he did say he's trying to get over it. So that's something.
I think it also depends on what you're used too. Yeah, Americans can be promiscuous, but from what I've heard we're a lot more private about our bodies. Like, bathing suits. Women in Europe sometimes go without bathing suit tops, right? If you did that in America, you'd get arrested.

Betty Blue said...

We´re not popular :D We´re punks and goths and metalheads, we´re the exact opposite of popular, most people just hope we will drown somewhen in our beer.
Yes, they do. I did myself. Of course not in a normal swimming pool, but at a lake, why not? We also go naked then. The men do, too, although you don´t always want to see them naked...
He WILL get over it. From how you talk about him, it seems to me that he is a strong one.

Radioactive said...

Sounds like the exact opposite of my friends. We're all geeks :) It's so weird. You're so nice and we have a fun time chatting on NaNo, but if we got my friends and your friends together (with a translator, of course!) they'd all just stare at each other like what planet did you come from :0

Betty Blue said...

Would be worth a try :D Most of my friends speak English, not as good as I do but good enough, so they would even be able to insult your friends without me translating ^^ Nah, probably your friends would stare while my friends would a) get drunk and b) try to lay your female friends... Would be nice to say something different, but I know them too good... But then again, some are really hot. We would have a nice time together ^^

Radioactive said...

Mine are like little geeky kids in teenagers' bodies, in the very best way. Yeah, we'd have fun. Christina would have a lot of fun cheerfully informing your guy friends that she's asexual and underage :)

Radioactive said...

And Ben would try to lay all your female friends. And probably you. And every other female he saw there :)

Betty Blue said...

We would love Christina =)
Oh, and Ben should try. He wouldn´t succeed; he would maybe get bitten by one or two, including me :D But it would be fun ^^