Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Shout-Out

It's Christina's sixteenth birthday! She is one of my best friends - actually, possibly my best friend now that Ella knows I like girls and is obviously not okay with that - and one of the best people I know. She's hilarious, down-to-earth, incredibly smart, never has a mean word for anyone, and today we're finally the same age (my seventeenth birthday is tomorrow. The fact that I was born the day after her, am a year older, and we're both juniors is a source of great amusement to us). Ordinarily, there would be cupcakes and a buttload of double-stuffed Oreos followed by a sugar-fueled giggle fest for us tonight but there's no youth group this week so I'm making this post for her - and our mutual obsession with TV shows about witty lesbians - instead.

So! It is Christina's birthday, as I've said. Read about her on the Cast of Characters page, or if that sounds too much like work, read about me babbling about how badass she is here.  Christina's awesomely blunt and is one of the few people I know who truly doesn't care what other people think but does care strongly about other people. We have the coolest conversations, ranging from urban slasher legends to whether or not Winnie the Pooh is transsexual to the pronunciation of the word orgy to potential love interests for Queen Elsa from Frozen. And it's weird but it not awkward because it's us. I swear, we could be the main characters from All or Nothing.

Beyond that, Christina's just really accepting, confident, and chill. I've never ever ever seen her get mad, she could make friends with a brick wall, and when I came out to her last June she was just like, Yeah, that's cool and moved on. Christina's basically the only friend I have that I would honestly feel totally comfortable talking with about female crushes, and the great thing about this is that she wouldn't freak out on me over that even though she herself isn't into girls. She's totally liberal, is in my experience one of the only American white girls who is totally comfortable talking about race without being a Tumblr Social Justice Warrior (despite her addiction to Tumblr), and is currently writing a liberal children's book entitled Differences are Good.

All in all, Christina is a fabulous person and friend and I hope that she has a very happy birthday.

And now for the witty lesbians - more specifically, Amy Raudenfeld. Amy, woman, you are such a boss and I wish you weren't a TV character because I kind of want to date you. Tonight I saw the episode of Faking It where all the hot Brazilian refugees come to Hester High. This brings two very interesting developments into my life as a rabid queer fangirl. One, Theo and Lauren just might be a thing soon. Scratch that, they'd better be a thing soon - Thauren is just too adorable to not be a thing. Also, Amy was attracted to a guy! Is she bisexual and homoromantic? Straight-up bi, like me? Something else? This rabid queer fangirl is going to stay tuned...

1 comment:

Radioactive said...

She told him she was intersex! Thauren is so adorable...they need to get back together. Screw what his boss says.