Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Coming Out Poem

The day I first came out to someone (Mrs. Avila, you can read about her on the Cast of Characters page), I was so thrilled and relieved that I wrote a poem about it. And now that I'm out to quite literally everyone, I figure it's time I shared it.

Day of Silence is coming
and already I am mute.
For months I have been silent
I have been scared,
desperate, a liar.

I blew my chance with an amazing girl,
Because she didn't know I was bi.
But I promised myself
I would come out to someone
And tonight I've finally found my courage;
I've finally found someone I can trust
My youth minister, the woman who
Has been more like a mother to me
Than my own mom.

I walk up and force out the words,
And she just hugs me and says it's okay
Not that it's a choice
Not that I'm going to hell
Not that I need to be cured.

It's my first time coming out
And I've never been more terrified
Even though I knew she would accept me
Because DNA doesn't make a family,
Love does.
And families stick together no matter what.

So I just wanted to say
No matter how scared you are,
It does get better.
I found my courage and faced my fears
I don't have to be straight to be loved
God made me bisexual
And that is something to be proud of

The Day of Silence is coming up
And I'm speaking out -
Finally, I'm not silent anymore
--------

And yes, I wrote it two days before Day of Silence. I'd promised myself I'd come out to someone,  in solidarity,  and I trust her more than pretty much anyone else in the world. So I told her.






5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your fanmily will always love you because you are unique you.
Love from Grandma Fran

Betty Blue said...

I´ve been never more thrilled and happy to see a granny on the internet =) I heard about you and from what I heard, you must be an amazing woman.

Betty Blue said...

It´s a lovely poem! Really impressing and it fits the mood of a coming out-situation so perfectly! I love it <3

Abigail Micola said...

All the Micola's love you Bess!

Radioactive said...

Did anyone get the Fosters reference? ;)