Monday, October 6, 2014

Vegetarian Awareness Month

For those of you who don't pay attention to that kind of thing, it's Vegetarian Awareness Month. And for those of you who aren't either a) Wrimos or b) someone I know in real life, I'm a vegetarian. So I decided to make a post for those of us who skip out on hunting season by including some recipes. Most of them will be links to cooking sites, but I'll also some things I came up with myself.

Farmers' Market Chowder
Apple Sauerkraut Salad
Obazda Cheese Spread
Indian Mixed Grill
Feta Tortilla
Three Sisters Casserole
Vegetable Rice
Curry-kuri Squash Soup

Apple Basil Sandwich

Ingredients:
1 bagel or roll, sliced in half the long way
1/2 your favorite flavor apple (I use Fuji, Johnagold, or Granny Smith), sliced thinly
A mixture of fresh spinach and basil leaves
2 tbs. of Italian dressing
1 1/2 Tbs. cream cheese, vegetable or plain
1 slice of your favorite cheese (if desired)

Instructions:
1. Spread cream cheese on each half of bagel/roll and sprinkle Italian dressing on cream cheese (I've heard that most countries don't use salad dressing like Americans do. If you live in one of those countries, you can substitute balsamic vinaigrette or olive oil with spices)
2. Place one-half of the mixed greens on top of cream cheese and salad dressing. On top of this, add 1 slice of cheese if using.
3. Add 1 half of the apple slices on top of this
4. Add the other half of the mixed greens on top of the apples. On top of this, add the other half of the apple slices.
5. Place other half of bagel/roll on top

Serves 1
suggestion: I personally think avocado or sliced carrots, or both, would go really well with this sandwich, though I've never tried it that way.


My dietary staples:
*Spinach
Good for: smoothies, salads, soups, scrambled in eggs, soufflés
*Pureed pumpkin
Good for: crepes, smoothies, soups, soufflés
*Soybeans
Good for: soups, stir fry, dried and eaten as a snack
*Apples
Good for: juice, smoothies, sandwiches, salads, soups (I've never tried it this way but it sounds great)

Strange but delicious:
1. Apple, cheese, and veggie sandwiches. Apples just taste good with almost anything, but apple and cheese is definitely a winning combination
2. Spinach smoothies. I've been drinking these a lot lately, usually prepared ahead of time and drank the next morning for breakfast. The best combination I've made so far is peach, pineapple, and  spinach, but feel free to experiment. I'm also a big fan of Bolthouse brand Green Goodness smoothies, and pretty much anything else from Bolthouse.
3. Broccoli, soybean, and pineapple stir fry. This is my favorite thing to eat at BD's Mongolian Barbecue, my favorite restaurant (it's a stir fry buffet, you can combine anything you want and they cook it for you while you watch). I vary the ingredients, but broccoli, soybeans, and pineapple are always in there. Some good things to add are peapods, baby corn, bean sprouts, crushed nuts, and noodles. I recommend a sweet and tangy sauce if you decide to make this.

Okay, that's it. Happy Vegetarian Awareness Month!