Thursday, October 23, 2014

This is harder than I thought...

I feel weird writing this post on my birthday, but I needed to vent.

About what, you ask? Evidently, my classmates have discovered - or they just suspect, I don't really advertise my sexual orientation at school, as it's none of their business - that I'm queer. I don't really know if this is just my own paranoia, of course, but I swear, whenever I hear anyone gossiping about a girl they think is a lesbian - like it matters - they all seem to be looking at me. This doesn't bother me, but they say the word lesbian like it's an insult and that pisses me off. (I think their suspicions are due to my vehement liberalism and the fact that I'm a vegetarian, because apparently all lesbians are vegetarian and I have to be gay to care about equality.)

Coming out was so freeing. Actually being out?

 Well, with the awesome people in my life, like my awesome queer friends and the cishet allies I've found among my family and other friends, I love it. With everybody else, though, it's either awkward because they're being all squeamish about bringing up the subject or it just sucks because they're ignorant.

I hate complaining. I mean, as a disabled, formerly fat female, it's not like I'd never known what it's like to face prejudice. But this really is so frustrating.

I would be a lot more willing to let them know (nicely) when they say something ignorant, if only they'd bother to actually ask questions. But they don't bother - like I used to before I realized I was one of the people I'd been stereotyping, most non-ally cishet teens around here would rather just come up with "theories" about queer people than try to educate themselves by actually ASKING us non-stupid questions (stupid questions are, for example: so do you have a penis or a vagina? Does butt sex hurt? How come you don't look gay? Do you have a small dick? You're dating a guy, do you only say you're bi to turn him on? So you're a hermaphrodite, then? Does pan mean you like orgies?) and when we call them out on this ignorance they don't listen. I'm sorry, are these people supposed to know more about my sexuality than I do?

It's also really annoying when a cishet person of another minority group uses heterosexist, dyadist, and cissexist slurs, randomly accuses a gay person (or someone they think is gay) of hitting on them, says things like "That's so gay", etc. Um, intersectionality much? It sucks when ANYONE marginalizes any minority group, but I hate it when minorities marginalize EACH OTHER. How can someone who themselves is oppressed honestly do the same thing to someone else?

Well, this rant was fun. Bye now.

No comments: